Pearls Of Wisdom From The Dali Lama
Regardless of religious beliefs or views, it is hard to find anyone that does not find the Dali Lama reverent. Here are 15 nuggets of truth he has uttered over the years. Regardless of when they were stated, they still apply today.
1. Anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
2. I myself feel, and also tell other Buddhists that the question of Nirvana will come later. There is not much hurry. If in day to day life you lead a good life, honesty, with love, with compassion, with less selfishness, then automatically it will lead to Nirvana.
3. We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.
4. I pray for a more friendly, more caring, and more understanding human family on this planet. To all who dislike suffering, who cherish lasting happiness, this is my heartfelt appeal.
5. With realization of one’s own potential and self confidence in one’s ability, one can build a better world.
6. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
7. Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.
8. My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
9. We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.
10. True compassion is universal in scope. It is accompanied by a feeling of responsibility.
11. Under the bright sun, many of us are gathered together with different languages, different styles of dress, even different faiths. However, all of us are the same in being humans, and we all uniquely have the thought of I, and were all the same in wanting happiness and in wanting to avoid suffering.
12. We must recognise that the suffering of one person or one nation is the suffering of humanity. That the happiness of one person or nation is the happiness of humanity.
13. For those who may not find happiness to exercise religious faith, it’s okay to remain a radical atheist, it’s absolutely an individual right, but the important thing is with a compassionate heart then no problem.
14. All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness … the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.
15. Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.
Many religious and philosophical figures are considered controversial. By accepting all religions and all views, the Dali Lama appears to transcend such concerns. Give some thought to his views above and how they might improve your life.